Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pre-Game Warmup


Not many people recieve the joy to be able to see France. Fortunate enough for me, I do :)

I sit here, looking at the clock, and realise that I only have around one more waking hour to go before I'm on my way to an undiscovered country! Ok, maybe I won't go that far, but France is a little huge step for me. Honest to God, Mexico is the only place I've been that I haven't lived in for a year or longer; that makes France my 2nd country visited.

I'm jittery: constantly checking my email for an important message from Luh-kill (this is my nickname for poooooor Lucille. Hopefully this nickname won't die off in my travels). I'm rendezvousing with Luh-kill and her brother (who's name slips my mind) at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. My parents think it would be a good safety measure to have a contact # of her's, and I wholeheartedly agree with them. Lucille laughed at me when I told her that landing in NYC's airport was scary, not recognizing anything, and then proceeded to she push the daunting thought into my mind that de Gaulle MIGHT have signs in French, rather than English.

I was terror stricken when I realised that I would have to take not one, not two, but three bags. Having one is perfect, having two is meh, but having three is like you're a mother goose, with all your baby ducklings behind you, trying to keep all of them in line and in order, whilst pushy men, loud voices, spectacular sights, and smells swamp your sensory organs. I'm hoping and praying that I don't lose track of any of them, but I won't be suprised if I do.

For the long plane ride, from Dallas, TX, to Paris, FR, I plan to write a short story, or begin writing a long one, and watch the presented movie. In my carryon, my all-too-gracious mother packed much-o grubb-o. I'm thinking of being the cash-only vender for food: I would gain an easy ten lbs if I tried devouring it by myself. I also hope I don't get food poisoned. If I do, you know who to blame. My mom packed chicken :/

For the most part, my summer has been all fun (staring at a screen) and games (for endless eternity.) This SHOULD change in France, as Luh-kill has prepared a fluently detailed itinerary of our stops in Paris, Lyon, and southern France. Oh yes, she also left out some special time for girl-watching. A sport restricted to anyone but travellers who are not staying very long. I plan to partake :)

It's nearing the tenth hour, so I must go get some much-needed sleep.
Wish me luck.
"I'm gonna need it."


5 comments:

  1. Dylan, I love the new title and your first post is grand! Just to let you know, Lucille has been writing to you on MY email account, so remember to check that one!
    Have a splendid trip and a remarkable summer. This might just be the best time of your life (so far).
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great opening, Dylan! We'll be anxiously awaiting further posts!

    Love you!
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a safe but memorable summer in France. You are one lucky guy and this I think will be your most favorite summer of all time!
    Love Auntie Babadee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post Dylan! Frank, Haley and I will be having dinner with Nathan on Thursday night. Now we will have even more to talk over! Hope you arrived safely and have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed. That was fast...

    ReplyDelete